Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Year 2 of No Evidence of Disease (NED)

  It is time to celebrate! Year 2 out of 10 without any evidence of any cancer coming back! 


  A quick review of BI-RADS is helpful before reading on. Due to my breast density, both a screening mammogram and breast MRI were warranted at my 2 year imaging. 

 My mammogram was found to be a BI-RADS category 2 which is benign with essentially 0% likelihood of cancer.

 My breast MRI was found to be a BI-RADS category 3 which is probably benign finding with short interval follow-up suggested with >0% but <2% likelihood of cancer. Repeat MRI suggested in 6 months. They're monitoring an area in the posterior aspect of the upper left breast (same side and close to the location as my original cancer) but does note it could be fat necrosis. When I told my sister about this, she said "I never thought of fat as being alive" which was a valid statement. Fat necrosis is a harmless, noncancerous condition where fatty tissue is damaged, dies, and forms a firm lump or oily cyst. Due to the size of the lumpectomy, my surgeon, who called me less than 24 hours from when my results were available, stated she's suspecting it is more of a fat necrosis situation and will monitor at the 6 month mark.



 In addition to my screening imaging, I also had a full spine MRI due to the areas found on my PET scan (revisit this information here). Long story short, all areas are stable and continue to appear as hemangiomas which are not an issue unless symptomatic, which they are not. I do have degenerative changes and one disc bulge in my neck, my midback, and my lower back. Hello 40s. 

 I think this is all the imaging I will have for now. In July, I continue on with my SURMOUNT trial and will have CTs of my chest, abdomen, and pelvis and a PET scan. If clear, I will have my 2nd bone marrow aspirate late July.
 
 With year 2 behind me, I'm focusing on transitioning back to future thinking, rather than just taking things one day at a time. It's harder than you may think.


1 comment:

  1. We are with you on this journey. Your outlook and attitude are an inspiration to others. 😘

    ReplyDelete